Weather Forecast


Lacrosse season ends in overtime

The Hastings Raiders lacrosse club finished its season Sunday at the state quarterfinals. The Raiders were the No. 2 seed from the South Conference and they played the No. 1 seed from the North Conference, St. Cloud South. The Raiders lost in overtime, 10-9.

"Once again we struggled to start off well," head coach Brian Jenson said. "We had a lot of trouble at first getting groundballs and making good passes."

Ryan Bussey scored the Raiders' first goal to tie the game in the first quarter, but St. Cloud followed with five unanswered goals.

Thane Rohweder broke the scoring streak with an unassisted goal in the second quarter and Dylan Dock scored with an assist from Andy Riveness. Dock assisted Bussey and the Raiders ended the first half down by two.

Bussey scored the only goal on either side in the third quarter, and Dock tied it up at six early in the fourth.

After another St. Cloud goal, Ben Smith scored with an assist from Dock, but St. Cloud scored two more, taking a 9-7 lead with five minutes remaining in the game. Dock ran past three defenders to score with two minutes remaining.

Jesse Langenfeld and Rohweder helped create a turnover that gave the Raiders another chance on offense. Fresh off a timeout, a pass intended for Rohweder deflected off his stick to Dock, who was in front of the net. Dock picked it up and tied the game with 39 seconds left.

"Those last two goals got everyone pumped, our bench, the fans, the coaches, everyone was getting into it," Jenson said.

Both teams had chances to win in overtime, but it was St. Cloud that was able to score after a Hastings penalty left them a man down.

Goaltender Leo Martineau made 15 saves in the game.

"This is the most exciting game I've ever been a part of," Jenson said. "The big comeback, tying it up time and time again and the two goals in the last two minutes to tie it again, all of that just kept the guys adrenaline going, especially at the end."

The Raiders' man-down unit (Joey Shatek, Jake Berens, Connor Stevens, John Klein and Langenfeld) has played well all year, Jenson said.

"I hate to see them lose on a goal like that when they played so hard at the end, especially with so many seniors," he said. "But that's the way you like to see your players finish the season, fighting until the very end."

Previous games

Hastings won, 7-0, against Tartan May 25. The game was called at halftime due to lightning. The Raider defense only allowed four shots on goal. Dock led with one goal and three assists. Corey Latuff scored two goals.

On June 2, the Raiders beat White Bear Lake, 14-2. Riveness led with four goals and three assists. Dock scored four goals. Martineau had 13 saves. Man-up units scored 6 times on 10 chances, and the team was six for six while man-down.

Hastings played Orono the next day and came away with a loss, 13-5. The boys missed a lot of opportunities and didn't' play as physically as they needed to, Jenson said. Martineau had 15 saves, and the man-down unit proved strong again, allowing only one goal out of 11 chances. Latuff led the scorers with one goal and one assist.

In the conference playoffs June 8, Hastings beat Mankato, 14-1. The boys played well from the start, Jenson said, leading 6-0 after the first quarter and 11-1 by halftime. Riveness led with four goals and two assists. Bussey had four goals and one assist. John Webber and Rohweder each scored two. Rohweder and Ben Smith combined to win 13 out of 14 face-offs.