Weather Forecast


Boys soccer: Raiders earn first win

After 10 tough losses, the Hastings boys soccer team has notched a win.

The Raiders beat Henry Sibley Saturday night, 3-1.

"It was long overdue," first-year Hastings coach Marshall Morehead said. "I was ecstatic."

Until Saturday night, Hastings had been outscored in its games 35-4. That said, there were five games toward the beginning of the season that really could have gone either way, and most were one-goal losses. Nothing went Hastings' way in those games, though, and they were all losses.

"I felt like we should have gotten something from a handful of games, whether that be a win or a tie," Morehead said. "It felt like we just couldn't seem to finish a game, and we were just really unfortunate with catching a break here or there."

The win makes everything better this week.

"It was something the team needed," Morehead said. "It's amazing how winning cures all the problems, and how losing exacerbates everything."

Henry Sibley scored the first goal on a breakaway at about the midway point of the first half. At the 30-minute mark, Hastings was given a penalty kick.

"I didn't see what happened," Morehead said. "It was kind of behind the play. A distant referee, the linesman, called it and gave us a penalty kick. We needed to catch a break."

Mike Young was called on to take the kick, and he buried it in the net.

"He was calm and cool and put home that PK to draw the score at 1-1," Morehead said.

With just one minute left in the first half, Hastings scored again to take the lead.

A ball was played that the Sibley goalkeeper and a Sibley defender both had a chance to clear. They each hesitated, thinking the other was going to take it. That's when Chase Farber stepped in, stole the ball and walked the ball into the net.

"It was a great, hard-working goal for Chase, who has deserved something in terms of goal production for all the hard work he has put in," Morehead said. "That was a critical goal for us."

Hastings scored its third goal about 10 minutes into the second half. Jake O'Brien was playing forward and chipped the ball up over the goalie's head and into the net.

"You could really see the shoulders of Henry Sibley kind of start to slouch after that goal," Morehead said. "The last 25 minutes, I thought we completely dominated."

Hastings made some adjustments to the team lineup for the game, including the insertion of David Shallock.

"I thought he was instrumental in our victory on Saturday," Morehead said. "I'm sure, with David being a senior, he's not getting even close to what he was hoping for with playing time. I changed the lineup slightly and had him as our right defender. He was the man of the match. I thought he played fantastic.

"That's what you look for in players. You give them an opportunity, and who is going to take advantage of it? David absolutely did."


Hastings lost to Cretin-Derham Hall Thursday, 5-1. CDH is the No. 8-ranked team in Class AA.

The Raiders actually scored the game's first goal, scored by John Webber. Shortly after that goal, lightning delayed the game for about an hour.

After the delay, Cretin had regrouped and came out a different team.