Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Classes resume at HMS after evacuation early this a.m.

Smoke was detected at Hastings Middle School this morning due to a mechanical malfunction. School officials issued a statement around 7:52 a.m. that students had been evacuated from the building and were taken to Pinecrest Elementary until the smoke was cleared. There was no fire in the building and there was no danger to students. As of 8:30 a.m. students and faculty were back in the building and classes will resume as scheduled.

Michelle Wirth

Michelle Wirth graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in 2013 with a degree in journalism and web design. She worked as a web content editor for a trade association before coming to the Hastings Star Gazette in 2016.

(651) 319-4503
Advertisement