Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Structure fire reported south of Hastings Thursday morning

UPDATED: Hastings firefighters were called to a structure fire in Ravenna Township Thursday morning, Dec. 1.

The first call came at 6:54 a.m. for what initially appeared to be a shed on fire, according to the Hastings Fire Department. The fire was at a residential address along Oxley Avenue, near Highway 316. 

The fire started in a loft area inside a pole barn, said Assistant Fire and EMS Director John Townsend. A space heater was situated too close to a blanket, which caught on fire. There were two people inside the building when the incident occurred, and both were able to get out safely, Townsend said. 

The building was ultimately fully engulfed in flames and is considered a total loss.

Townsend said that the incident is a good example of the need for smoke detectors and fire exits in outbuildings. While creating alternative living spaces in those buildings can be nice, he said, people need to be aware of the fire hazards.

"They were very lucky," he said of the occupants.

No one was injured in the fire.

By about 8:30 a.m., crews were finishing up at the scene. 

More from the Hastings Star Gazette

Advertisement
randomness