Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Home destroyed by fire in East Hastings

Hastings firefighters were called Friday evening to a house fire in the 2000 block of East Fourth Street.

The fire was reported at about 6:30 p.m. The family had been grilling on their patio and the fire spread from the grill to the home’s vinyl siding while the family ate supper, explained Hastings Fire and EMS Director Mike Schutt. He said it was close proximity that allowed the fire to spread to the home.

The homeowner attempted to extinguish the fire, but it had advanced too far, Schutt said. The family of five evacuated the home. They also safely removed their pets, including a fish.

The flames spread up the two-story home and into the attic of the house and attached garage.

“When we got there, about a third of the house roof was already consumed,” Schutt said.

Flames were showing through the roof and the garage was fully engulfed.

The extent of the fire meant firefighters had to attack the flames from the outside only.

“It was not safe to send firefighters into the house,” Schutt said.

Responders had to use water tanker trucks to battle the flames, as there are no fire hydrants in the area. In addition to the Hastings tanker, water was provided by the Prescott, Miesville and Hampton fire departments. The Cottage Grove Fire Department assisted with staffing. Firefighters cleared the scene around midnight.

The home is considered a total loss. No residents or responders were injured in the incident.

Help for the family

The house is owned by Jake and Liz Majeski. Although all people and pets are safe, the family was only able to collect a cell phone, computer and their wallets before having to leave the structure.

Now, the fire leaves the family starting over from scratch. Friends of the family are asking for the community’s help. A donation page has been set up to help the Majeskis. The website is www.youcaring.com/elizabeth-and-jake-majeski-600081.

According to the fundraising page, Jake works as an electrical lineman for Dakota Electric. Liz is studying nursing at St. Catherine’s University. They have three children, Meghan, 8, Annie, 5, and Wyatt, 2.

The fire destroyed the family’s dream home, which Jake built seven years ago after buying his grandfather’s farm.

“They are still trying to come to terms with this tragic loss and are starting to figure out their next steps,” the fundraiser page reads. “When you’re starting from scratch you need all the help you can get.”

A benefit event for the family has tentatively been scheduled for Aug. 6 at Green Mill in Hastings. More information about the event will be published in next week’s paper.

For information about the benefit, contact Cory Likes at 651-983-6155.

Advertisement
randomness