Weather Forecast


‘Discarded smoking material’ caused 15th Street fire

A fire that destroyed a garage and damaged a 15th Street home’s attic last week was caused by “unintentional discarded smoking material,” according to Hastings assistant fire and EMS director John Townsend.

Townsend said that the fire “originated in the garage and spread both horizontally and vertically.”

The fire occurred on Monday, June 9, at about 4 p.m. Crews battled the blaze for several hours and called upon the Miesville Fire Department for assistance.