Weather Forecast


Fire engulfs trailer home near Hastings Civic Arena

A Hastings firefighter prepares to enter a burning trailer home on Wednesday morning. Star Gazette photo by Chad Richardson

A fire was reported in Hastings at about 8 a.m. Wednesday. The fire charred a mobile home on 27th Street East near the Hastings Civic Arena.

The resident had discovered the smoke and immediately evacuated the home and called 911.

"Crews arrived and found heavy smoke coming from the structure," said Assistant Fire and EMS Director John Townsend.

Firefighters from Hastings were on the scene and battled the blaze. They entered the home shortly after arriving.

"The fire kind of moved under the structure and had gotten into the wall spaces... so it was difficult to get it extinguished initially," Townsend said.

Crews were on scene until about 12:30 p.m. The fire did substantial damage to the entire home, Townsend said, but it was contained to the one home and no one was injured. The family has moved out and is getting support from the Red Cross. The Hastings Fire Department also provided the family with a Tote of Hope, a large plastic tote full of basic necessities that aren't provided by the Red Cross. The Hastings Rivertown Lions Club assembles the Totes of Hope and the fire department distributes them to families displaced by fires.

The cause of the fire was an electrical heat tape wrapped around the insulated domestic water line, which over time, broke down the insulation. As a result, the heat tape came into direct contact with a Romex electrical wire, causing the casing around the wire to heat up and ignite.