Fire and accident report for the week ending Feb. 10Here is this week's fire and accident report.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
Friday, Feb. 1
• A vehicle slid into another at an intersection and left the scene. A pickup was stopped at a stop sign at the intersection of Vermillion Road and Village Trail when a car tried to make a right turn onto Village Trail, slid on snow and ice and hit the box of the pickup. A witness account helped police track down the car’s driver. A citation for driving after suspension and failure to give information was mailed to Paige Mortaloni, 21, Hastings. The crash was reported at 7:26 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 4
• One vehicle slowed to turn into a parking lot in the 2100 block of Vermillion Street when it was rear-ended by another vehicle. The crash was reported at 8:04 a.m. Cited for following too close was Christian Rech, 39, Hastings.
Tuesday, Feb. 5
• A Hastings school bus backed into a resident’s mailbox in the 2200 block of Brooke Lane. The custom brick mailbox was valued at $4,000 to $5,000. The bus driver had made plans to contact the homeowner.
• Two vehicles collided in the 3100 block of Village Trail. One vehicle backed into another. The crash was reported at 3:45 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 6
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of 10th and Tyler streets at 11:27 a.m. While one vehicle was proceeding through the intersection, another vehicle slid through a stop sign.
Friday, Feb. 8
• A garbage truck struck a cable line at 100 Sibley St. and tore it from its pole at 12:04 p.m. Firefighters responded and notified the power and cable companies.
Sunday, Feb. 10
• A vehicle struck another at the intersection of Fourth and Pine streets. One driver reported he had stopped at a stop sign at Fourth Street and that the other driver did not stop for his stop sign. Arrested and cited for DUI was Blake Winchell, 26 of Cottage Grove. A breath test showed he had a blood alcohol content of .17.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.