Cooking fire burns home on Tyler StreetA home in the 800 block of Tyler Street sustained heavy damage from a fire Sunday afternoon, Nov. 11. The call came just after 2 p.m.
A home in the 800 block of Tyler Street sustained heavy damage from a fire Sunday afternoon, Nov. 11. The call came just after 2 p.m.
When Hastings fire and police responders arrived, they found heavy smoke from the main and second floor windows, soffits and roof vents, according to Fire and EMS Director Mike Schutt. The fire had self-vented through four windows on the main level, with flames about 10 feet higher than the windows.
Crews entered through the back of the house to attack the flames from the inside. The initial knock down allowed a second crew to enter from the front to access the second level.
Four adults live in the home, and two were in the building at the time of the fire. As they exited, they grabbed three of their four cats, but once outside the cats jumped from their arms and ran back into the house. A male resident re-entered, looking for the cats, but was forced out by the fire. All four cats died of smoke inhalation. The man sustained minor injuries.
The fire was determined to have started on the kitchen stove, a result of unattended cooking. Damage was estimated at $75,000.
The Hastings Fire Department also responded to two other medical situations during the fire.