Accident report for the week ending Nov. 4Here is this week's fire and accident report.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
Sunday, Oct. 28
• A 27-year-old driver crashed at the intersection of County Road 47 and Vermillion Street at 9:07 a.m. A witness estimated he was driving 40 to 50 miles per hour when he attempted to turn right onto southbound Vermillion St. Because of the speed, he lost control of the vehicle, jumped a curb and broke off the driver’s side front tire. Cited for failure to drive with due care was Julian Carlson of Vermillion.
Monday, Oct. 29
• A 19-year-old Hastings woman crashed into a tree at Fourth Street and General Sieben Drive at 11:38 a.m. The driver reported she had turned to look at another driver she thought she recognized when her vehicle went off the road and hit the tree.
• One vehicle rear-ended another at the intersection of highways 61 and 55 at 4:15 p.m. The driver of the rear vehicle told police he had looked away for a second.
Tuesday, Oct. 30
• Two vehicles collided in the 2100 block of Spring Street at 12:50 p.m. One driver was taking a drink from a can and didn’t realize the vehicle in front of him had slowed to make a turn. The rear vehicle was towed from the scene. No injuries were reported.
• Firefighters responded to an equipment fire along 175th Street about a half mile east of Orlando Avenue at 8:10 p.m. A stalk chopper and surrounding field was on fire. Responders extinguished the fire, which was determined to have started in the chopper. A more specific cause could not be determined.
Wednesday, Oct. 31
• A grass fire was reported near Fouth and Tyler streets at 4:46 p.m. The fire was out on arrival, and responders sprayed the area.
• Firefighters responded to a crash at the intersection of Courthouse Boulevard and Goodwin Avenue at 4:49 p.m. One person was reported injured.
Friday, Nov. 2
• A driver opted to rear-end the vehicle in front of him rather than be struck by the semi-trailer behind him. The 35-year-old Wabasha man told police traffic had slowed and stopped suddenly. He struck the vehicle in front of him, but told police if he had stopped in time, the semi behind him would have hit him.
Saturday, Nov. 3
• Two people were reported injured following a car vs. pedestrian incident at 5:13 a.m. The state patrol responded.
Sunday, Nov. 4
• Firefighters found a small grass fire in the 1200 block of S. Frontage Road at 12:38 a.m. Responders extinguished the fire.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.