Accident report for the week ending Oct. 7Here is this week's accident report.
Sunday, Sept. 30
• Firefighters responded to a combine fire in the 7700 block of East 170th Street at 4:42 p.m.
• A vehicle went off the road in the 200 block of General Sieben Drive at 5:38 a.m. The driver told police she swerved to avoid a cat. The vehicle sustained damage in multiple areas.
• A driver unfamiliar with the area turned into the west lane of Spiral Boulevard from Red Wing Boulevard by mistake. She overcorrected and the vehicle went into the ditch, traveling about 65 feet and hitting a light pole. The vehicle had moderate to heavy damage and was towed. The pole was not damaged. The incident was reported at 6:42 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 1
• Three vehicles were involved in a rear-end crash at 18th and Vermillion streets at 7:01 a.m. Natalie Schenk, 23, Hastings, told police she was looking left when the vehicle in front of her stopped in traffic for CR 46/47. She rear-ended the vehicle, which was pushed into a third vehicle. Schenk was cited for inattentive driving.
Wednesday, Oct. 3
• An 81-year-old Nebraska resident backed out of a driveway in the area of Pine and 17th streets and struck a parked, unoccupied vehicle on the opposite side of the street.
• Firefighters were called to a grass fire in the 100 block of West 18th Street at 3:13 p.m. The property owner had extinguished the fire by the time responders arrived.
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of 12th and Pine streets at 2:44 p.m. One driver had his left blinker on but didn’t turn. Another driver thought the oncoming vehicle was turning and pulled into the street. No one was injured.
• Two vehicles crashed in the 1700 block of North Frontage Road at 6:19 p.m. One driver said the sun was in her eyes and didn’t see the other vehicle.
Thursday, Oct. 4
• A corn dryer fire was reported in the 21000 block of Darsow Avenue at 1:12 p.m. Firefighters extinguished the fire. Losses were estimated at $20,000.
Sunday, Oct. 7
• Police responded to a single vehicle crash in the area of Southview and Westview drives at 6:58 a.m. Upon arrival they found an injured driver they believed to be intoxicated. The vehicle had left the road and struck a fire hydrant, boulder, utility pole and landscaping. A preliminary breath test measured his blood-alcohol concentration at .158. Arrested was Drew Waxlax, 23, Hastings. Waxlax was booked on a gross misdemeanor DWI, misdemeanor reckless or careless driving and misdemeanor speed.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.