Fire and accident report for the week ending Sept. 29Here is this week's accident report.
Tuesday, Sept. 25
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of Sixth and Eddy streets at 4:52 p.m. One driver stopped at the stop sign and proceeded into the intersection, where he crashed into another vehicle. Christian Schnaith, 33, Hastings, was cited for failure to yield. Three people were reported injured.
• A vehicle scraped another while changing lanes at 7:30 a.m. near the intersection of Highway 55 and General Sieben Drive.
Wednesday, Sept. 26
• Firefighters responded to a brush fire in the 300 block of West Ninth Street at 5:49 a.m. Occupants had had a recreational fire the night before, and embers from the fire got into a compost pile and into the neighbor’s yard, where the grass burned.
• Three vehicles were involved in a crash in the Hastings High School parking lot. One driver was waiting for traffic and began to move, colliding with another vehicle he didn’t see. The second vehicle was pushed into a third vehicle. No one was cited.
• A corn dryer burned at 3:02 p.m. in the 21000 block of Darsow Avenue. The fire started in a storage area, where there was a large amount of corn. The cause of the fire was undetermined. The building was totally involved, with losses estimated at $250,000. No one was injured.
Thursday, Sept. 27
• Two vehicles crashed at the intersection of Third and Vermillion streets at 3:16 p.m. The forward driver slammed on her brakes when the vehicle in front of her slowed suddenly. A vehicle behind her was unable to stop in time.
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of 15th and Pleasant streets at 7:20 p.m. Both drivers stopped for their respective stop signs, started, stopped, started and stopped again simultaneously. When they were nearly through the intersection, one struck the other.
Friday, Sept. 28
• Two people were injured in a two-vehicle crash at the intersection of General Sieben Drive and South Frontage Road at 7:25 a.m. Firefighter/paramedics provided first aid.
• Firefighters responded to a gasoline spill at a gas station in the 1300 block of South Frontage Road at 12:08 p.m. A vehicle at the station was leaking a small amount of fuel. It was towed to a service garage, and an absorbent material was put down to soak up the fuel.
• Firefighters responded to a brush fire in the 18000 block of Polk Avenue at 7:41 p.m. The cause was undetermined.
Saturday, Sept. 29
• Two vehicles crashed at the intersection of Third and River streets at 11:10 a.m. One driver, stopped at a stop sign, thought an oncoming vehicle had a stop sign and would stop. She proceeded into the intersection and struck the other vehicle.
• Firefighter/paramedics responded to a motorcycle crash on Highway 61 just north of the bridge at 5:10 p.m. One person was reported injured.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.