Transformer fire leads to power outagesA problem with an electrical transformer in the 1100 block of Bahls Drive led to a fire and power outages for residents in the nearby apartments.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
A problem with an electrical transformer in the 1100 block of Bahls Drive led to a fire and power outages for residents in the nearby apartments.
The Hastings Fire Department responded at about 10:30 Saturday evening, Sept. 8. When firefighters arrived, the entire box was on fire, said Fire and EMS Director Mike Schutt. Two of the three high-voltage lines coming into the box had blown.
The box was located right next to an apartment building, so residents there were evacuated while firefighters contained and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the transformer, but the apartment building did sustain some heat damage, and a few apartment units experienced some smoke damage. Multiple apartment buildings were without power.
Xcel Energy also responded and worked into the night to restore power. The fire department cleared the scene at about 12:30 a.m. No one was hurt in the incident.