Accident report for the week ending Aug. 6Tuesday, July 31 • A gas leak was reported in the roadway at Pine and 13th streets at 11:33 a.m. Hastings Fire mitigated the leak and contacted CenterPoint Energy. • One person was reported injured after a crash at the intersection of 200th Street and Red Wing Boulevard. The crash was reported at 12:18 p.m.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
Tuesday, July 31
• A gas leak was reported in the roadway at Pine and 13th streets at 11:33 a.m. Hastings Fire mitigated the leak and contacted CenterPoint Energy.
• One person was reported injured after a crash at the intersection of 200th Street and Red Wing Boulevard. The crash was reported at 12:18 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 2
• A two-vehicle crash was reported just north of the Highway 61 bridge at 4:53 p.m. While driving southbound, a sudden stop caused one driver to brake suddenly. That car stopped in time but was rear-ended by the vehicle behind.
Friday, Aug. 3
• Firefighters responded to a call for a vehicle fire at 11:30 p.m. at a home near Voyager Parkway and Yellowstone Drive. Police who arrived at the scene found a legal recreational fire. Firefighters confirmed.
• Above-ground power lines were struck by lightning at about 11:50 p.m. There was no damage to the adjacent home and no fire. Firefighters noted there was a power outage.
Saturday, Aug. 4
• Two vehicles were towed and one person taken to the emergency room following a crash on Vermillion Street near 16th Street. The Minnesota State Patrol managed the crash, which was reported at 10:48 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 5
• Firefighters responded to a call regarding a broken gas line in the 1800 block of Vermillion St. at 2:04 a.m. Upon arrival, they found a car had crashed into a building and broken a natural gas pipe. Firefighters shut the gas off and notified CenterPoint Energy. Police arrested Andrew James Tuckner, 27 of Hastings, for driving under the influence. Tuckner was injured but refused medical attention.
Monday, Aug. 6
• A large brush pile was reported on fire at 3:25 p.m. Park rangers had dumped camp fire ashes they believed to be cool onto a brush pile, but the ashes had not fully cooled and ignited the brush. The fire covered an area of about 40 by 150 feet and was about 15 feet high. A shed was nearby but did not catch fire, and no one was injured.
• An anhydrous ammonia leak was reported in a storage area in the 15000 block of 180th Street at 9:59 p.m. Firefighters turned the valve off and notified the property owner.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.