Accident report for the week ending July 27Here is this week's accident report.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
Sunday, July 15
• Police responded to a report of a vehicle that had struck a post at Walmart the previous evening. Police found the vehicle with severe damage parked in a handicapped space. The concrete around the post had been lifted up. The incident is under investigation.
• Police responded to a head-on crash on the Highway 61 bridge at 11:17 p.m. While slowing his vehicle down for an excessive amount of mayflies on the bridge, a Snohomish, Wash., man lost control and slid into oncoming traffic. Minor injuries were reported.
Monday, July 16
• A street sweeper backed into another vehicle at 11:28 a.m. at the intersection of Second and Pine streets. The vehicle had pulled up within a foot of the sweeper, according to a witness. The sweeper had all required safety lights on.
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of Westview Drive and North Frontage Road at 3:07 p.m.
Tuesday, July 17
• Firefighters responded to a crash at the intersection of 160th Street and Fischer Avenue at 11:54 a.m. One person was reported injured.
• One vehicle rear-ended another at 3:30 p.m. when the rear driver looked down to change the radio. The driver told police he didn’t see the vehicle in front of him slow down to make a turn.
Thursday, July 19
• One vehicle rear-ended another at the intersection of 15th and Vermillion streets at 11 a.m. There was minimal damage. One driver reported some pain but refused medical attention.
Friday, July 20
• A brush fire was reported at a home in the 3000 block of Vermillion Street at 11:57 a.m. A juvenile used a lighter to light some leaves on fire and ignited a pile of debris and brush. The fire did not spread to the nearby house. Firefighters extinguished the fire.
• A resident in the 200 block of West Eighth Street was using flammable liquid to burn stumps at 11:54 a.m. When firefighters arrived, the resident extinguished the fire with a hose.
• A vehicle was rear-ended at 8:32 p.m. at the intersection of 36th Street and Kendall Drive when its driver stopped for people riding bicycles across the road. No one was injured.
Saturday, July 21
• Firefighters responded to a call of smoke at a home in the 400 block of West Sixth Street at 8:50 a.m. Upon arrival, they found carpeting that had been put in a recreational fire the previous evening and was smoldering. Firefighters extinguished and disposed of the carpet.
Sunday, July 22
• Kaylee Jo Gilbertson, 19, Hastings, was cited for following too closely after rear-ending another vehicle at the intersection of Highway 55 and Pleasant Drive at 1:32 p.m. While waiting for the light, the left turn arrow turned green and Gilbertson moved forward. The vehicle in front of her remained stopped for the red light.
• Devin Marie Dorschner, 24, Hastings, was cited for careless driving after a crash with a parked vehicle near the intersection of 21st and Pine streets. Dorschner told police she had looked at a cell phone to make a call, had drifted to the right and struck a parked vehicle. The parked vehicle was pushed about eight feet along the curb. There were no injuries.
Tuesday, July 24
• One vehicle rear-ended another at the intersection of 10th and Vermillion streets at 4:06 p.m. While approaching the intersection, a 40-year-old Hastings man was reaching for a clipboard and didn’t notice the vehicle in front of him was stopped.
Thursday, July 26
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of Featherstone Road and Pleasant Drive. Both vehicles had stopped for their stop signs at the same time. One proceeded, and while it was still in the intersection, the other vehicle moved forward and struck it. The crash was reported at 1:49 p.m.
• While backing out of a driveway along Radford Road, a pickup collided with another vehicle driving along the road. The truck caught the other vehicle’s right rear corner. The crash was reported at 6:15 p.m.
Friday, July 27
• A minor crash was reported at 5:02 p.m. in the Walgreens parking lot. While in the left lane exiting the parking lot, one driver backed his vehicle and struck another.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.