House catches fire along Shannon DriveThe Hastings Police and Fire departments responded to the 4000 block of Shannon Drive Wednesday evening, June 13, to a structure fire at a single family, split level home.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
The Hastings Police and Fire departments responded to the 4000 block of Shannon Drive Wednesday evening, June 13, to a structure fire at a single family, split level home. Upon arrival at 10:37 p.m., the attached garage was fully involved and the fire had progressed into the main front entry way, up the stairs and into multiple rooms on the upper level. The fire had self-vented through the windows on the upper level, said Fire and EMS Director Mike Schutt.
Crews used the main front entry to gain access to the home and launch an offensive interior attack. At the same time, crews also cut a vent hole in the roof to release hot gasses and smoke, which creates a chimney effect and helps slow the fire. The fire was controlled at 11:19 p.m., at which time crews switched their attention to overhaul and extinguishing hot spots.
One person was in the home when the smoke alarm alerted him of the fire, Schutt said. No one was injured in the incident.
The owner and two occupants will be displaced for an extended period of time and will be staying with family members in the area.
Damage is estimated at $150,000.
Schutt said the fire appears to have originated in the garage, and it does not appear to be suspicious.
A donation fund has been set up for the homeowner, Jacob Berg, to help him with everyday expenses such as food and clothing until he has a stable place to stay. Those who wish to contribute to the fire fund for Jacob Berg can do so at Vermillion State Bank in Hastings.