Fire and crash report for the week ending March 11Here is the accident and fire report for March 5 to March 11.
By: Katrina Styx, The Hastings Star-Gazette
Monday, March 5
• Firefighters responded to a garage fire in the 2900 block of Riverwood Drive at 6:14 p.m. March 5. The fire consumed a four-stall apartment garage. The cause of the fire was undetermined, but the origin was traced to an electrical outlet and power cord.
Tuesday, March 6
• A Waste Management dump truck backed into a light pole along Lock and Dam Road. Police responded to the call at 8:20 a.m. March 6 when the Hastings streets department notified them of the damaged pole. A Corps of Engineers employee reported seeing a Waste Management truck backing out of an alley by the pole, and the tracks by the pole indicated a large vehicle. The light pole was removed for public safety reasons.
• Two vehicles collided at the intersection of 15th and Pine streets at 3:57 p.m. March 6. While stopped in traffic on eastbound 15th Street, Tiana Hall, 20 of Hastings, told police her foot slipped off the brake and she bumped into the vehicle in front of her.
Wednesday, March 7
• A minor crash was reported at the intersection of 10th and Vermillion streets at 6:53 p.m. March 7. While waiting at the intersection, Mary Truax, 44 of Hastings, thought the light had turned green and struck the rear of the vehicle in front of her. A passenger in the front vehicle complained of slight back pain. No citations were issued.
Thursday, March 8
• A crash was reported at 7:59 a.m. March 8 at the intersection of highways 10 and 61. The Hastings Fire Department responded. There were no injuries.
• A fire alarm that sounded at 2:08 p.m. March 8 at Hastings Middle school was caused by silk screening being done in the school shop room. There was no fire.
Friday, March 9
• While pulling into a parking spot in the 1700 block of North Frontage Road at 2 p.m. March 9, Debra Koenig-Getty, 53 of Cottage Grove, struck the door of the vehicle next to her. Wakai Moua, 47 of Cottage Grove, had just parked and opened the door as Koenig-Getty pulled in. No citations were issued.
• A property owner was burning some brush in the 7200 block of St. Croix Trail at about 2 p.m. March 9. The brush fire spread into a small grass fire, about 60 by 60 feet. Firefighters extinguished the fire.
Sunday, March 11
• A cooking fire was reported in a multi-family dwelling in the 1100 block of Highway 55 at 6:16 p.m. March 11. Firefighters ventilated the area to remove the smoke.
Information for this report is obtained from both the Hastings Police and Fire departments.