Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
The old crew of the Peanut Line is pictured in this June, 1960, photo. Pictured from left to right are Bob Dodge, Jack Godfrey, Buzz Peterson and Frank Quitter. The Hastings Gazette

Remember the 'Peanut Line?'

Email News Alerts

They called it “the friendliest train ride in the world.”

As far back as 1882, the Hastings and Stillwater Railroad, affectionately nicknamed “the peanut line,” carried goods and people between Hastings and Stillwater. The 25-mile route started in Hastings at the depot downtown and ran five nights a week through Point Douglas, Afton, St. Mary’s Point and St. Croix Beach; into the Lakeland, Hudson and Bayport area, where the train got most of its cargo; and into Stillwater.
Advertisement

Get the full story
Subscribe or Log In

Advertisement
Katrina Styx
Katrina Styx has been a reporter for the Hastings Star Gazette since 2010. She has a bachelor's degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Wisconsin - River Falls. Prior to coming to Hastings, Katrina reported for weekly newspapers in Jordan, Minn., and River Falls, Wis.
(651) 319-4501
Advertisement