Ramsey Mill ruins still stand next to Vermillion River
In 1855, Elbert H. Halstead located a claim on land at the lower falls of the Vermillion River. Eventually, Gov. Alexander Ramsey and Dr. Thomas Foster built what came to be known as the Ramsey Mill there.
The falls at that time were about 50 feet wide with a fall of 19 feet.
Tragedy stuck on Christmas Day, 1894, when the fire department responded to a fire; the building was engulfed in flames and nothing could be saved.