Raider wrestlers place fourth at Clash
What an impression the Hastings Raiders wrestling team made last week in Rochester.
Hastings placed fourth at one of the nation’s top team wrestling tournaments, the Clash. Hastings went 3-3 in the tournament, which featured teams from across the country. In all, 12 states were represented. Last year, Hastings took 18th at the same tournament.
The Raiders started the tournament with three wins. Hastings beat Grand Island, Neb., 47-20.
The Raiders then beat a team from Woodbury Central in Iowa, 60-15.
Hastings then beat Bound Brook, N.J., 33-26.
On the second day, the competition got enough tougher and Hastings lost three straight matches. The Raiders lost to Oak Park and River Forest, (Ill.), 43-13; then Apple Valley, 56-12; and then Bergen Catholic (N.J.), 37-21.
The final match on the first day of the tournament against Bound Brook was the highlight for the Raiders.
The match started at 138 pounds and Hastings fell behind early. By the time the match got to 220 pounds, the Raiders trailed 22-2.
Cullin Brendeland turned things in Hastings’ favor, though, with a pin at 5:53 to make the score 22-8.
Tony Lodermeier, wrestling at 285 pounds, earned a pin at 49 seconds to make the score 22-14.
Adam McSorley and Spencer Kopp kept the positive momentum going, each earning pins.
McSorley’s came at 106 pounds in 2:35.
Kopp’s came at 113 in just 15 seconds and his gave Hastings the lead at 26-22.
Luis Sanchez earned a tech fall and then Luke Rowh earned a hard-fought 7-3 win over the No. 1 ranked wrestler in New Jersey at 132 pounds to close out the match.
Rowh finished the day a perfect 6-0.
Here are the other records from Hastings wrestlers at the Clash:
106 - McSorley was 3-3.
113 – Kopp was 2-3.
113 – T.J. Pottinger was 1-0.
120 – Sanchez was 2-4.
126 - Finley Meyers was 0-2
126 – Kyle Erickson was 0-4.
138 – Austin Eichmann was 3-2.
138 – Cody Leflay was 0-1.
145 – Jake Anderson was 4-2.
152 – Jake Johnson was 3-3.
152 – Trey Rogers was 0-1.
160 – Stewart Mattison was 2-3.
170 – Dan Marquette was 3-2.
170 – Logan Gove was 0-1.
182 – Mark Vaith was 1-5.
195 – Daryale Harris was 3-3.
220 – Brendeland was 2-2.
220/285 – Lodermeier was 3-3.
285 – Edison Duong was 0-2.
• Another one of the highlights of the tournament for Hastings was the pin earned by Jake Johnson against Apple Valley. The unranked Johnson pinned the state’s No. 7 ranked wrestler at 160 pounds, Davionte Young, in 3:50.
• Fourth place ties for the best Hastings has ever fared at the Clash. The Raiders placed fourth one other time.
• Teams at the Clash came from Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, California, Alabama, Nebraska, Missouri, Wisconsin, South Dakota, New Jersey and North Dakota.
• Hastings plays host to Forest Lake tonight (Thursday) at 7 p.m. for Parent’s Night.
• The Raiders travel to St. Cloud Tech this weekend for the Kiffmeyer Duals.