Fire partially burned home on W. 19th St.
Hastings firefighters extinguished a house fire in the 1300 block of West 19th Street Sunday afternoon.
The fire was reported by a neighbor shortly after 1 p.m. Sept. 15. Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from the entire roofline. They entered the home through the front door and located the fire in the kitchen and dining room, which were heavily involved in flame, said Fire and EMS Director Mike Schutt. The flames had also breached the ceiling and had gotten into the attic.
It only took crews 16 minutes to knock the fire down, saving much of the rest of the home. Damage was estimated at about $75,000, and while the home is not currently habitable, it is repairable.
"It was a great save by the firefighters," Schutt said. "They did a fantastic job."
The homeowner was not at home when the fire started. After the fire was extinguished, investigation showed that it was unintentionally started by smoking materials that had been discarded in a trash can in a kitchen closet/pantry area. Two dogs were on the property, but were outside at the time of the fire. No one was injured in the incident.
Hastings firefighters were assisted by the Miesville and Prescott fire departments.
While responders were still managing the scene at the fire, the Hastings Fire Department also responded to a three-vehicle crash at Highway 61 and 127th Street in Denmark Township. Two people were transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul with serious injuries.