Ellie Peine wins overall championship at NASTAR nationals in Colorado
Hastings skiers had all kinds of success at the recent NASTAR national championships in Snowmass, Colo.
Certainly, the highlight was the fact that Hastings’ Ellie Peine was the overall winner at the race of champions. She won five gold medals and one silver medal.
“It was unbelievable,” said her father Jim. “Her goal was to win, so that she could win a trip to a World Cup race.”
Peine won the platinum division for females ages 14 to 15, which qualified her for the race of champions.
Her brother Adam Peine was the overall champion last year.
In the family race, the Peines also fared well – Adam, Ellie and Jacob teamed up to place first out of 25 teams.
Ellie Peine, Jacob Peine and Cam Strike each won their divisions in the slalom, while Adam Peine placed second.
Lastly, team Welch Kids placed second out of 18 teams. Team members were Stephen O’Connor, Strike, Jacob Peine, Eric Fisher, Adam Peine, Sam McKinney, Ellie Peine and Shannon O’Connor.
Here are more results:
• Wyatt Rininker of Afton placed fourth in the 8- to 9-year-old gold division.
• Lauren Riniker of Afton placed first in the 10- to 11-year-old gold divison.
• Logan Doty competed in the 12- to 13-year-old female gold division.
• Jacob Peine placed second in the 12- to 13-year-old male platinum division.
• Sam McKinney placed second in the 14- to 15-year-old platinum division.
• Stephen O’Connor placed third in the 16- to 17-year-old platinum division.
• Adam Peine was second in the 18- to 20-year-old platinum division.
• Brianna Berg took second in the 21- to 29-year-old platinum division.
• Tom Riniker of Afton was fifth in the 45- to 49-year-old platinum division.