Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

‘Discarded smoking material’ caused 15th Street fire

A fire that destroyed a garage and damaged a 15th Street home’s attic last week was caused by “unintentional discarded smoking material,” according to Hastings assistant fire and EMS director John Townsend.

Townsend said that the fire “originated in the garage and spread both horizontally and vertically.”

The fire occurred on Monday, June 9, at about 4 p.m. Crews battled the blaze for several hours and called upon the Miesville Fire Department for assistance.

Chad Richardson

Chad Richardson is the news director for RiverTown Multimedia. He was the publisher of four RiverTown publications until 2016, when he was named news director. He was previously general manager of the Farmington Independent and Rosemount Town Pages from 2000 to 2007. He worked at the Hastings Star Gazette from 1996 to 2000 as a photographer and reporter. He also worked as a photographer and writer at the Pope County Tribune in Glenwood.

(651) 319-4500
Advertisement