CITY OF HASTINGS
ORDINANCE NO. 2018-08
AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF HASTINGS, MINNESOTA
AMENDING HASTINGS CITY CODE CHAPTER 155.08, SUBD. (D)(1)(d) -
ELECTRONIC GRAPHIC DISPLAY SIGNS
BE IT ORDAINED by the City Council of the City of Hastings as follows:
The Hastings City Code is hereby amended as follows (Additions to the ordinance are underlined, and section numbers may be renumbered):
§ 155.08 SIGNS.
(D) Signs requiring a permit.
(1) Permit required.
(d) Electronic graphic display signs must meet the following requirements:
1. Allowable zoning districts. Electronic graphic display signs may only be located in the C-1, C-2, C-3, 6-4, P-l, and 0-1 Zoning Districts. Electronic graphic display signs shall be prohibited in all other zoning districts and the East 2nd Street Historic District.
2. Setback from residential. The leading edge of the sign must be a minimum distance of 60 feet from an abutting residential district.
3. Dimmer control. Electronic graphic display signs must have an
automatic dimmer control to produce a distinct illumination change from a higher
illumination level to a lower level for the period between 1 half-hour before sunset and 1 half-hour after sunrise.
4. Use. Electronic graphic display signs must adhere to signage limits established in division (D)(1)(e). Electronic graphic display signs may only be used in combination with freestanding signage and may not constitute more than 25% of the monument sign face size as regulated in the table in division (D)(1)(e) below. If a sign is being refaced, no more than the existing size of signage may be replaced with an electronic-sign.
5. Flashing. The messages on an electronic graphic display sign may change at a rate of no less than 6 seconds. No flashing shall be allowed.
6. Use in Windows. Electronic graphic display signs placed within windows and visible to the exterior must not exceed 25 percent of the window area
All other sections shall remain unchanged.
ADOPTED by the Hastings City Council on this 1st day of October, 2018
/s/ Paul J. Hicks, Mayor
ATTEST: /s/ Julie Flaten, City Clerk
I HEREBY CERTIFY that the above is a true and correct copy of an ordinance presented to and adopted by the City of Hastings, County of Dakota, Minnesota, on the 1st day of October, 2018, as disclosed by the records of the City of Hastings on file and of record in the office.
/s/ Julie Flaten, City Clerk
This instrument drafted by:
City of Hastings (JH)
101 4th St. East
Hastings, MN 55033